Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mom help!

Well last night was possibly the worst night so far. Kaylee began crying around 3pm... To those who know me, this is normal, she does a lot of crying.

By the time 7pm came along and she was still crying I not only was exhausted but also annoyed. Jordon has a cold and as we all know, when a man is sick, it is much like having another infant around.

Half of me wanted to keep her far, far away from him as to not risk her catching the cold and the other half of me just wanted a few minutes to stand outside in the cold and here NOTHING.

Wondering which one I did.... Well for my sanity, I handed her to him and walked around outside for 10 minutes. I just needed to clear my head. It's so hard when you are trying to figure out what can be wrong and how to help, however nothing seems to work.

Yes her bum had been changed, yes she had eaten, yes I had given her a warm bath, yes I had burped her, yes I even tried the gripe water....

I came back in and tried again. Rocking, walking, bouncing, shh'ing, humming... Still no luck.

9pm... I call my Mum...

"Please tell me what to do! She has been screaming for 6 solid hours and I have tried everything"
My Mom asks me the basic questions- does she have a fever, have you tried burping ect...
"YES YES YES MOM!"

She suggests I call telehealth and see what the recommend.

I take her advice and call the IWK Children's hospital and ask if there could be something wrong. They again go through the same daunting questions. Then they tell me if she is still crying in another 2 hours then to bring her down to have her looked at...

2 hours!!!! I tell myself over and over I can do this...

Kaylee is so tired her eyes roll back into her head occasionally but she continues to keep herself awake...

2 hours later I am rocking in my rocking recliner in her bedroom, she is almost asleep, dozing in and out making little coo'ing noises.

At this point it is midnight, I send my Dad a message on the BlackBerry to let him know we are alright and tell Mom to get some sleep.
I also take this advice and crawl in bed leaving Kaylee in her crib, knowing she will wake me up in a few short hours to feed again.

This morning I pulled out my biggest tea mug and lit a fire. We received over a foot of snow last night which means its a great day to curl up by the fire- Kaylee permitting!

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good! You don't need my help chickie :P Can't wait to meet her! I hope she's in a good mood too :) lol. That way I can look after her if you want a shower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Aidan used to do that, too! I thought I was the only one. I'd talk to the others moms and all their babies would nap. He used to cry some days from 3pm until finally passing out at 11pm. I'd feed him and be like "Okay, this time he's going to go to sleep" and no, he'd just keep crying. He's finally over it so just remember, it's just a stage and it won't be like this forever. Good luck. Call me if you ever need to vent cause man, do I understand.

    ReplyDelete